Forgotten and Ignored-The Human Animal Bond-DH DeForge 28July2013

Forgotten and Ignored
The Human-Animal Bond
DH DeForge, VMD 28July2013


The Little Boy and the Old Man by Shel Silverstein

Said the little boy, "Sometimes I drop my spoon."
Said the old man, "I do that too."
The little boy whispered, "I wet my pants."
"I do that too," laughed the little old man.
Said the little boy, "I often cry."
The old man nodded, "So do I."
"But worst of all," said the boy, "it seems
Grown-ups don't pay attention to me."
And he felt the warmth of a wrinkled old hand.
"I know what you mean," said the little old man.


When Shel Silverstein wrote this simple poem, I wonder if he realized its impact on the millions who have read it through the years.  If it is first read as a child, it has a much different emphasis than when read as an adult.  It symbolizes...two stages of life.....the very young......and the very old sharing a mystery of similarity and a fate of being ignored.

How many have said to themselves if I had my life to live over I would have spent more time with my son or daughter and less time in my career.  Or, maybe, if I only could have that time back with my Mom or Dad or Grandma or Grandpa I would have spent more time with them and cherished their knowledge.  I don't think there are many who have not had those thoughts who have grown and raised a family.  

The irony of this New Millennium......... which we are already 13 years into as I write.......... concerns the fact that the nuclear family is farther apart now than ever and parents are ignoring children more than at any other time in the history of The Family of Man.  Sure...... there are great parents.....I know many of them.....and yes there are adults that idolize their parents and grandparents and have spent many hours with them as they age.   No one would disagree with me when I state this is the minority.  We are in the Internet Revolution and we spend more time on our Smart Phones; I-pads; computers; lap tops; and other electronic devices than we do speaking to each other.

I love the electronic age.  I am amazed by the technology and the wealth of information that is a key-stroke away.  At the same time, I see this Revolution destroying the family and creating a greater gap between the Little Boy and the Old Man than has ever existed.  I hope as your read this blog and take a moment to reflect on Shel Silverstein's insight that you will commit yourself to spending more time with your children and with your aged parents.

In my clinical setting each day, I see many young people on I-Phones; carrying I-Pads or pleading with their parents to get them the newest electronic technology.  The lack of connection between the child and pet in their home is increasing. I believe the Electronic Revolution is a major part of this segmentation of love between child and pet.  

Twenty-five years ago the young people coming into a veterinary hospital with their pets were amazed to see the animal doctor complete the exam on their pet. With eyes wide open, they would ask that doctor many very fascinating and quite mature questions .  Today, these same children's eyes are glued to the screen of an electronic game or communicator and almost seem to be spirits in the room rather than participants in the care of their pets.

Our pets bring to us unconditional love.  They can listen to us; they can see us; they love us; and they only ask for just a little love in return.  The Human-Animal Bond is the last frontier of caring in a world that has lost compassion and empathy!  

Spend time with your children.  Have your children spend time with their animal companions. We may be able to reverse what Shel Silverstein writes about in his epic narrative.  Maybe this poem can end one day........."and he felt the love of a wrinkled old hand.  I know what you mean it is not that bad being young and it is not that bad getting old when you are loved by so many." 

Dr. Don DeForge
28July2013
Animal Doc AM Multi-Media
www.AnimalDocAMMultiMedia.blogspot.com
Medical Director-Silver Sands Veterinary Center
17 Seemans Lane-Milford, CT 06460
203-877-3221
Dr. DeForge welcomes comments to his blogs at DoctorDeForge@yahoo.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roundworm-A Serious Zoonosis

The Senior Pet-Unconditional Love-Become your pet's Super Hero!

Fine Needle Aspirates-FYI!