Dr. George Whitney dies at age 94 in Vermont

A True Connecticut Veterinary Legend

Veterinary Medicine loses an icon but his memory will always captivate our hearts!

“It is never too late to be what you might have been.” 
― George Eliot


It is impossible to describe veterinary legend, Dr. George Whitney, in a few paragraphs.  George Eliot probably states it the best....."It is never too late to be what you might have been!"

Dr. Whitney and I first crossed passed when I was a freshman veterinary doctor "wet behind the ears" and he was a senior practitioner of 53 years of age in Orange, CT.  He drew me to his practice in Orange, CT and treated me like a son.  He never wanted to go backward........... but wanted to learn from me all of the new medical technology from the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine.  He explained cases to me as the country doctor would explain those same cases to an intern at Yale-New Haven Hospital.  

His trademarks were always his love of exotics and the fact that he refused to wear two socks of the same type.  One leg would have a green sock and one leg would have a red sock.  One sock would be white and the other would have a wild pattern of some type.  It was just fun seeing what sock combination this brilliant veterinarian would wear each day.   When others were readying for retirement, George Whitney was sitting down with young passionate doctors to build a Central Hospital in New Haven, Connecticut.  The concept of a central facility with multiple doctors sharing the same central facility never caught on in the United States but it would become the building block for all of the specialty hospitals that we see today.  Dr. George Whitney wanted to do it right and do it better.  He was never embarrassed to ask a question and to seek an answer.  He kept a colony of snakes on his personal property and lectured everywhere people wanted to listen about birds and exotics.  Many times he would have a non-poisonous variety under his shirt that he took out and displayed during a lecture.

Dr. George Whitney of Orange, CT trained many young doctors over his practice career.  He saved many animal lives and he was always there to listen.  People would schedule appointments just to listen to "Doc" Whitney.  He made you feel good; he made you happy; and he loved helping the companion you loved.  I only spent one year with "Doc" but it was a very special year and we always stayed close friends.

Dr. George Whitney will be remembered not as a general veterinary practitioner but as an inspiration to the aged population of America.  At 80 years of age, well after retirement from veterinary practice, he attempted to run 50 yards to his mail box at the end of his driveway and almost passed out from shortness of breath.  He asked himself is my heart that weak that I cannot pump blood to my lungs and limbs or am I just out of shape.  His son who was a personal trainer got him checked out by his internist and then started preparing him for running with a physical fitness running program.  At 80 years of age, George Whitney began his journey to 5K long distance racing.  In 2008, he moved to Vermont when his wife died but returned each year to run the Chilly Chili 5K on New Year's Day in Orange, CT.  In 2009, with the thermometer at zero degrees, he finished the 5K in 46:01......... a record for 90 year olds.

He was famous for the sayings he put on his running shirts to help encourage the retired; aged; and geriatric community to never give up on life.  Some of the shirts read:

"I am Running from the Undertaker"

"If I were a Building they would Demoish Me"

"No, I am not on Steroids but Thanks for Asking"

"Mother told me NEVER to associate with FAST WOMEN"

Last month at 94 years young George was back in Orange running the "Chilly Chili City 5K" in 48:56--He came in 528 out of 538 runners.  Other 90 year olds have come to Orange to run with George.  One person wore on their shirt: Doctor George Whitney truly is "Commander in Chief"!

George Whitney would never want to be part of a ceremony of sadness in passing; he epitomized life and he wanted people to be passionate about their lives.  Being part of a book reading club in Vermont was his way of telling people.....enjoy each day....enjoy life.  Leo Buscaglia: educator, writer, and philosopher once stated what George Whitney understood and practiced.  Leo said: "What we call the secret of happiness is no more a secret than our Willingness to Choose Life."

I was privileged to hear George speak about life in an interview that I had with him on WICC-600 AM Radio when he was 90.  He said to me, "I don't envy you for having to be a doctor in the New Millennium.  When I was a doc in Orange, there was greater respect for the word veterinarian. Today, you work hard without recognition."  I told him that he was correct.  It was a better time when I worked as a freshman intern in his practice in Orange, CT.  Time continues....... and we cannot choose the hour, month, year, or decade.  We must do the best we can do within the circumstances of our existence.  For Dr. George Whitney to honor me with those kind words when he was running 5K races to inspire the elderly at 90 years of age was very humbling.

"Doc" Whitney will always be a part of me.  You cannot emulate anyone but you can keep in your memory words like.... gentleness; compassion for the sick; love for the stranger; and an endless inquiring mind..... and allow these words to become part of your life.

I promised "Doc" I would be out there running a 5K with him.  I never made it to the Chilly Chili 5K because of time constraints that limited my training.  I will make it to the Chilly Chili 5K next year and I know he will be with me encouraging me to finish that race and all of the other races that I face today as a doctor of veterinary medicine.

Don DeForge, VMD-a student, a friend, and witness to the life of an icon-Dr. George Whitney!
23Feb2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roundworm-A Serious Zoonosis

The Senior Pet-Unconditional Love-Become your pet's Super Hero!

Fine Needle Aspirates-FYI!